MATTHIAS Andreas (2018). “Neural Networks Without the Math.” Joyously Aware Media, Hong Kong.
MATTHIAS Andreas (2008a). Automaten als Traeger von Rechten. Plaedoyer fuer eine Gesetzesaenderung. (Automata as Holders of Rights. A Proposal for a Change in Legislation), Berlin: Logos.
Matthias, Andreas (2018). [Various articles in:] Luis de Miranda (ed.) (2018). 30 Second AI and Robotics. London, Quarto / Ivy Press.
MATTHIAS Andreas (2008b). “From Coder to Creator. Responsibility Issues in Intelligent Artifact Design”, Handbook of Research in Technoethics., Rocci Luppicini, Rebecca Adell (ed.), pp. 635 -650, IGI Global Books, Information Science Reference. Hershey/New York.
- MATTHIAS, Andreas (2020). Dignity and Dissent in Humans and Non-humans. Science and Engineering Ethics, 26(5), 2497-2510, DOI 10.1007/s11948-020-00245-x
- Vicky CHARISI, Louise DENNIS, Michael FISHER, Robert LIECK, Andreas MATTHIAS, Marija SLAVKOVIK, Janina SOMBETZKI, Alan WINFIELD, Roman YAMPOLSKIY (2017a). “Towards Moral Autonomous Systems.” Submitted for review. Preprint available online at arXiv.org:https://arxiv.org/abs/1703.04741
- MATTHIAS, Andreas (2016c). “The Extended Mind and the Computational Basis of Responsibility Ascription.” Anatomia Do Crime / Anatomy of Crime, Journal of Law and Crime Sciences, No. 3, January-June 2016, pp.129-154
- MATTHIAS Andreas (2015a). “Robot Lies in Health Care. When Is Deception Morally Permissible?” Kennedy Institute of Ethics Journal Vol. 25, No. 2, 169–192.
- MATTHIAS Andreas (2011a). “Algorithmic moral control of war robots: Philosophical questions.” Law, Innovation and Technology, Volume 3, Number 2, pp. 279-301 (23).
- MATTHIAS Andreas (2009a). “Robots, Theology, and the Personhood of Nonhumans”, Erwaegen, Wissen, Ethik (Deliberation, Knowledge, Ethics), Vol. 20, Issue 2, pp. 215 -217, Univ. of Paderborn / Lucius & Lucius.
- MATTHIAS Andreas (2009b). “Standpunkt: Rechtsverantwortung Autonomer Maschinen”, Neue Juristische Wochenschrift, Issue 27, pp. 12, CH Beck.
- MATTHIAS Andreas (2004a). “The Responsibility Gap. Ascribing Responsibility for the Actions of Learning Automata.”, Ethics and Information Technology, Vol. 6, Issue 3, pp. 175 -183.
- MATTHIAS, Andreas (2019). “Two Kinds of Trust in Robots.” Presented at Dagstuhl Seminar 19171 “Ethics and Trust: Principles, Verification and Validation,” April 22-26, 2019. Available online: https://andreasmatthias.com/dagstuhl2019/
- MATTHIAS, Andreas (2019). “Making Smart Cities Ethical.” Luncheon talk at the conference: “Smartcity: How Bigdata Reinvent Hong Kong’s Future.” Hong Kong, January 23, 2019 (invited).
- MATTHIAS, Andreas (2018). “Robot Ethics and Human Dignity.” Keynote presentation at the conference “Artificial Intelligence. Disruption and Opportunity.” Organised by Morais Leitao, Galvao Teles, Soares Da Silva & Associados. Lisbon, Portugal, June 21-22, 2018.
- MATTHIAS, Andreas (2017b). “Moral Imperialism and the Social Dynamics of Human-Robot Interactions.” Presented at Zagreb Applied Ethics Conference 2017: The Ethics of Robotics and Artificial Intelligence. June 5-7, 2017, Matica hrvatska, Zagreb, Croatia.
- MATTHIAS Andreas (2016a). “Machine Ethics and Legislation. A Few Concerns.” Invited presentation at Hang Seng Management College, Workshop on the Role of Ethics in Public Policy/Public Debate, December 5, 2016.
- MATTHIAS Andreas (2016b). “Autonomy, responsibility and dignity of human-machine hybrids.” Dagstuhl Seminar “Engineering Moral Agents – From Human Morality to Artificial Morality.” May 29 – June 3 2016, Schloss Dagstuhl, Germany.
- MATTHIAS Andreas (2015b). “The Extended Mind and the Computational Basis of Responsibility Ascription”, Mind and Responsibility – Philosophy, Sciences and Criminal Law, May 21-22, 2015. Organized by Faculdade de Direito da Universidade de Lisboa, Lisbon, Portugal.
- MATTHIAS Andreas (2013): “Robots deceiving humans: When is deception morally permissible?” Paper presented at TILTing Perspectives 2013: “Bridging distances in technology and regulation.” Tilburg University, Netherlands. April 25-26, 2013.
- MATTHIAS Andreas (2011b). “Is the Concept of an Ethical Governor Philosophically Sound?” Best paper award at TILTing Perspectives 2011: “Technologies on the stand: Legal and ethical questions in neuroscience and robotics”, Tilburg University, Netherlands, April 11-12.
- MATTHIAS Andreas (2004b). “Responsibility Acsription to Nonhumans. Climbing the Steps of the Personhood Ladder.”, Proceedings of the Dimensions of Personhood, Univ of Jyvaeskylae, Univ of Jyvaeskylae, Finland, pp. 128 -138, University of Jyvaeskylae.
Other Publications, Talks, Interviews
- Matthias, Andreas (2020).Innovative Pedagogies Series – Online Learning in Philosophy. Teaching and Learning Centre, Lingnan University. Online talk, August 31, 2020.
- Matthias, Andreas (2018). “種族歧視的人工智能” (“Racist AI?”). Lingnanian Opinion Column, ETNet. Available online: http://www.etnet.com.hk/www/tc/lifestyle/internationalaffairs/lingnan/57449
- Interviewed by Nenad Jarić Dauenhauer: SVJETSKI FILOZOF ZA INDEX Roboti za seks i rat zgodne su teme, no prava opasnost je drugdje (in Croatian). Published on index.hr, 24.6.2017. Available online: http://www.index.hr/vijesti/clanak/svjetski-filozof-za-index-roboti-za-seks-i-rat-zgodne-su-teme-no-prava-opasnost-je-drugdje/976445.aspx
- MATTHIAS Andreas (2017): Round-table discussion: “Rise of the Robots.” RTHK Radio 3, Backchat, February 3, 2017. Online at: http://podcast.rthk.hk/podcast/item.php?pid=177
- MATTHIAS Andreas (2017): Interview: “Robot rights and responsibilities” RTHK Radio 3, Backchat, January 16, 2017. Online at: http://podcast.rthk.hk/podcast/item_epi.php?pid=177&lang=en-US&id=84475
- MATTHIAS Andreas (2016): “Mobile Logic.” Teaching Development Grant presentation, Teaching and Learning Centre, Lingnan University. December 6, 2016.
- MATTHIAS Andreas (2013): “The Extended Mind Hypothesis Revisited.” Seminar given at Lingnan University Philosophy Department, December 4, 2013.
- MATTHIAS Andreas (2012): Interview: “Kopflos: Sind Maschinen Verantwortlich für Ihr Tun?” (“Are machines responsible for their actions?”) 360° Das Studentische Journal für Politik und Gesellschaft, Year 7, Issue 2012/2. Online: http://journal360.de
- MATTHIAS Andreas (2010): “IT Ethics for IT Professionals”. Staff workshop at Lingnan University.
- MATTHIAS Andreas, “Ethical Responsibilities of IT Professionals”, Information Security Challenges in Today’s Higher Education Community, Joint Universities Computing Centre (JUCC), Polytechnic University, Hong Kong, May 2010, Invited, (http://isconference.jucc.edu.hk)
- MATTHIAS Andreas, “Interview: Machines as holders of rights.”, Part of lit.cologne International Literature Festival, March 12, 2010, Mar 2010, Published as WDR radio interview, (http://litcolony.de) mp3
- MATTHIAS Andreas, “Talk: Teaching Critical Thinking and Ethics in the Core Curriculum”, Symposium on the 3-3-4 Educational Reform, Hong Kong University, Hong Kong, China, May 2009, Invited.
- MATTHIAS Andreas, “Interview: Rechte fuer Maschinen” [English translation], Condor. Periodico Chileno-Aleman. Santiago de Chile., Oct 2008, Published, (Interview.)
- MATTHIAS Andreas, “Interview: Strafrecht fuer Roboter: Maschinen sollen fuer eigene Fehler haften.”, Spiegel Online Wissenschaft. Hamburg, Germany., Aug 2008. Online at:http://www.spiegel.de/wissenschaft/mensch/0,1518,569004,00.html
Grants and Projects
- Investigator for teaching development grant TG13A4 ‘Mobile Logic’ (development of a mobile phone app to aid in logic teaching) (PI Prof. Darrell Rowbottom) (2015-2016)
- Representing Lingnan University at the project “Innovative models for small-scale private liberal arts colleges in the context of globalization of higher education” supported by the Promotion and Mutual Aid Corporation for Private Schools in Japan. Workshop will be held between 18 (Thursday) – 19 (Friday) June, 2015 at the International Christian University (ICU:http://www.icu.ac.jp) in Tokyo, Japan
- MATTHIAS Andreas, Understanding Morality Podcasts. Lingnan University Teaching Development Grant TDG 10A4, 20 philosophy podcasts available online, produced in cooperation with TLC, Apr-2010, Published (http://podcast.ln.edu.hk/podcast/understanding-morality)
- MATTHIAS Andreas, English-Chinese/Chinese-English Philosophy Glossary, 48 pages in pocket format, Lingnan University Teaching Development Grant TDG 09A8, Jan-2010, Published, (http://www.ln.edu.hk/philoso/glossary)
Other Affiliations and Duties
- Jun 2015-2016: Steering Committee member of the Global Research Network for Liberal Arts Education (GRN), founded at ICU, Japan, June 2015
- Jul 2011: Invited as robot ethics expert to the EU-Robotics CA Workshop in Wuerzburg, Germany, July 22, 2011 (organized by the European Commission, the Commissariat a l’Energie Atomique et aux Energies Alternatives (CEA), France, and Wuerzburg University, Faculty of Law) with the aim of preparing a Green Book for a future European legislation for autonomous robots
- Apr 2011: Member of the Scientific Committee for TILTing Perspectives 2011: “Technologies on the stand: Legal and ethical questions in neuroscience and robotics”, April 11-12, 2011, University of Tilburg, Netherlands
- 2010-2012: Course consultant, Vetter and Subject Area Moderator for Ethical Values at Yew Chung Community College, Hong Kong
- 2008-2013: Member, Gesellschaft für Kritische Philosophie (Society for Critical Philosophy), Nürnberg, Germany